John S. Taylor Restoration
The John S. Taylor was built in 1845, 175 years ago and was gifted by William S Lauderback to the Mariner’s Bethel. It was presented in May 25th, 1945, during Maritime Week to the Seaman’s Church Institute. Research of the clubs archived meeting minutes, in 1945, the Philadelphia Ship Model Society completed a restoration of this very model. Members George T. Ross and Thomas Hornsby prominently volunteered to achieve this outcome which included adding sails and rigging.
Our mission is to restore the model to the 1945 era in partnership with the Independence Seaport Museum to eventually become an exhibit.